Sunday, June 27, 2010

fly by night

I've just started reading Fly by Night by Frances Harding. I wasn't sure what to expect from the book, but I must admit that I'm really enjoying it so far, mostly because of the way she writes. Who wouldn't find a book with chapters like "A is for Arson", "B is for Blackmail" and "C is for Contraband" charming. 

I really enjoy her descriptions of things too. Here are two of my favourite so far:

"The path was a troublesome, fretful thing. It worried that it was missing a view of the opposite hills and insisted on climbing for a better look. Then if found the breeze uncommonly chill and ducked back among the trees. It suddenly thought it had forgotten something and doubled back, then realized that it hadn't and turned around again. At last is struggled free of the pines, plumped itself down by the riverside, complained of it's aching stones and refused to go any further. A sensible, well trodden track took over"

"Above the gulls spun and floated like tea leaves in a stirred cup"

No comments:

Post a Comment