Wednesday, September 29, 2010

eat pray love



There is such a lot of hype about this book and movie at the moment. I read about the book on one of the blogs I follow and thought "I should read it sometime". Then I saw the preview for the movie and thought "I should read the book before I watch the movie" (as I find the book is always better than the movie). And then I got my kindle and it was one of the recommended books so I thought "now's the time" and bought it.

I read it over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I'm at a stage in my life where I'm reevaluating my beliefs, goals and outlooks on how I should be living so I liked what I read in this book. I also like the philosophy she has on faith. But I don't believe in taking books too seriously so I just read it for the enjoyment.

Here are some of the passages I liked:

"God is... the love that moves the sun and the other stars."

"Just as there exists in writing a literal truth and a poetic truth, there also exists in a human being a literal anatomy and a poetic anatomy. One, you can see; one, you cannot. One is made of bones and teeth and flesh' the other is made of energy and memory and faith. But they are both equally true."

"The Hopi Indians thought that the world's religions each contained one spiritual thread, and that these threads are always seeking each other, wanting to join. When all these threads are finally woven together they will form a rope that will pull us out of this dark cycle of history and into the next realm."

On eating so much in Italy "... I'm on a "No Carbs Left Behind" tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment